Learn more about Poinsettia care
5 Poinsettia Care Tips from our experts at Best Feeds Garden Centers.
1. Poinsettia need at least 6 hours of filtered sunlight each day. To prevent the brackets from burning or drying out, try to put them near a window with a shear curtain or shade.
2. Temperature matters. Avoid sudden cold when you bring them home. If it's an extremely cold day, consider warming the car if possible. During the day, 72 is best, but at night try to keep the room cool. It's better for sleeping too.
3. Water when the soil is dry to the touch. Distilled water is best but tap water will work. This tips is good for poinsettia and all house plants in general: Fill your watering can and allow to sit for 12 to 24 hours. This allows water treatment chemicals time to evaporate.
4. Don't overwater or allow excess water to sit in the watering tray or saucer. They don't like their feet to get wet and extra water can lead to root rot.
5. If you plan on keeping your Poinsettia after the holiday season, you will need to fertilize. But, don't fertilize while it is blooming. Remember, the bloom is not the colored leaves. The bloom is the tiny cluster of yellow flowers at the center of the brackets.
Good Luck and Happy Holidays!