Learn about Spring Lawn care
Lawn Tips from our experts at Best Feeds Garden Centers.
1. How to Choose the best grass - How many hours of sun does my lawn receive? Is it a high traffic area with kids and pets? How much grass seed do I need?
2. Soil testing - Lawn grasses survive in soil that is slightly acidic to neutral pH. That range is 6.2 to 7.0. Weeds enjoy a pH that is very acidic or very alkaline.
3. Fertilize - Grass plants need 3 key macronutrients in order to thrive: nitrogen(N) , phosphorous (P) and potassium (K). These make up the N-P-K analysis found on all fertilizer bags. Nitrogen greens up the grass blades, phosphorus is important for strong root growth and potassium works for overall health.
4. Weed Control - Most products control either grassy weeds or broad leaf weeds but not both. Be sure to check the label before you buy. Use pre-emergent for crabgrass and broad leaf weeds like dandelion or clover have to be controlled after they emerge.
5. How to water - don't forget to water! How much? On average 1 to 1 1/2 inches per week including rain fall. A rain gauge is helpful to know how much rainfall your lawn is getting. Water in the morning between 5 and 10 am.
Happy Lawn Care!